A Day in the Life: 2022 Standard Process Interns
About Internships at Standard Process
We offer internship opportunities to college students at various levels in their academic career. Interns will be provided with work responsibilities like that of an entry-level professional. The work responsibilities will build upon classroom studies and give interns real-world experience in their chosen career path.
As a Standard Process intern, students are welcomed into a caring and supporting culture. The program focuses on providing a meaningful experience and connecting interns with professionals in their field. Interns enjoy community building activities like Lunch-and-Learns and National Intern Day to develop workplace skills and relationships.
Looking for information on a specific department? Check it out here:
We've asked our interns to work together to interview one another during their time here at Standard Process. Here are the highlights:
Meet Alex H., the 2022 IT Applications Developer intern! Alex is a Computer Science major with a minor in Information Science and Technology at UW-Milwaukee. In his free time, Alex enjoys being active and playing basketball, playing video games and spending time with his friends. Some specific projects he worked on during his time here included:
- Creating website landing page templates and functional designs for the business to use based on designs from our marketing team
- Added more robust search functionality to improve customer experience on our website
- Enhanced the style of our product detail pages for better user experience
- Worked collaboratively with our project managers and business requestors to ensure we had all needed information to complete tasks during planning for future sprints
- Presented and demonstrated code changes to directors, vice presidents, and executive team members to obtain sign-off on completed code
- Learned new code languages in a live setting
Alex had done a lot during his internship and said people should apply to intern at Standard Process because it is a tight-knit family here. “It’s a chance to get out of the classroom and get real world experience, “he added He also mentioned a great part of working here is having the ability to work from home on some days.
The next time we offer an IT internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic IT-driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
In 2022, unfortunately, the position of a chemistry intern went un-filled. We interviewed Daniel Gahl, the QC Chemistry Supervisor to get an idea of what a day in the life of this position would be like, and some specific projects they would work on.
- Performing tests on Vitamin B6 and Niacin on HPLC instruments
- Performing data logging/ number crunching for various assays we run such as total number of tests we perform yearly and logging heavy metals data.
- Tasked with looking into ways to improve assays currently in the lab
- Running our wastewater samples for the plant, performing elemental analysis on ICP-OES, performing multiple assays on HPLC’s as well as various titrations and benchtop chemistry.
Daniel said “Interns in the past have taken responsibility for running an instrument for the summer. We have also had them run our ICP instrument for the summer. This gives them hands on experience with the instrumentation in real world scenarios. They also learn to troubleshoot errors that occur and sample testing mistakes”. Along with that he added “They also get experience with various pipettes and scales.
The next time we offer a microbiology internship opportunity, we hope to involve a stellar biology or chemistry student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Chloe and Michael, the 2022 Engineering interns!
Chloe is a Chemical Engineering major at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. “. Outside of Standard Process, Chloe likes to be on the water and wakeboard. She also likes to hike in the mountains and watch the Bucks play. Some specific projects she worked on during her time here included:
- Data collection of processing operations
- Going to the farm to collect operator data recorded off nanofiltration machine
- Collecting samples from each field product batch that comes to main process.
- Measuring brix and solids content
- Reaching out to different companies about their technologies on degassing foam
- Running benchtop trials on defoamers on different field products
- Creating presentations and flowcharts on the farm process and main process
Chloe enjoyed her time at Standard Process stating: “I have learned so much throughout the summer, as I was able to shadow many different departments throughout the company. It was cool to see how much of the company overlaps and everyone relies on each other.”
Michael is a Mechanical Engineering major at MSOE. Outside of the workplace, Michael enjoys hiking, kayaking, and snowboarding! Some of the specific projects he worked on during his time here included:
- Updating Plant utility drawings to include information on items such as duct smoke detectors, backflow prevention devices, natural gas lines, and high voltage outlets.
- Using Autodesk AutoCAD for both CAD Modeling and CAD Drafting
- Interacting with Production and Maintenance employees
- Using excel for data analysis, data entry, and file organization/management
- Creating CAD Drawings for new parts and components that may be used in production
- Modifying CAD Drawings of existing rooms for potential changes in equipment
- Attending Dust Hazard Analysis and Environmental meetings
- Working throughout the building in places such as production, interstitial spaces, and the roof
Michael echoed Chloe’s statement, saying “My time at Standard Process has been filled with many challenges, but also a lot of successes. Being able to see how everything works to move our products out to customers in the most efficient way has been a great opportunity.”
The next time we offer an Engineering internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic Engineering driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Erich, the 2022 Quality Assurance intern! Some specific projects he worked on during his time here included:
- Sending questionaries out to suppliers, one for each individual product we receive
- Verifying everything that they say, to make sure their labels are correct
- Completing this for the 481 products he oversees
Erich has enjoyed working at Standard Process. He says, “my favorite part is the people in my department, they are super nice.”
The next time we offer another Quality Assurance internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic Quality Assurance driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Research & Development
Meet Genaveve, the 2022 R&D Historical Documents intern!
Some specific projects Genaveve worked on during her internship included:
- Scanned in documents from our historical library
- Completed research on topics about supplements while exploring the history of Standard Process
- Found what goes into many supplements, thanks to the hands-on experience in the library
- Looked over all archival documents and organized them for ease of access
- Transferred hard copies and making them virtual so our scientists had easier access to the documents
Genaveve enjoyed working at Standard Process. She said, “being able to look through the history, I am history major, and this gives me real world experience to look into my field…... it’s really interesting.”
The next time we offer another Research & Development internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic Research & Development driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Grace and Alex, the 2022 Marketing interns! Grace is a double major in Organizational Communication & PR/Advertising at Lewis University in Illinois. Outside of work, Grace enjoys playing tennis, as she is part of the Lewis tennis team, traveling and playing the piano.
Alex is a Marketing major at UW – La Crosse, and enjoys playing and watching sports, especially football and basketball, as well as being out on the lake and traveling outside of the U.S.
Some specific projects our interns worked on during their time here included:
- Worked closely with the other interns to brainstorm, pitch, and implement an intern recruitment campaign.
- Updated relevant slide decks and designed a new deck for the POSSIBLE line that was utilized by the team.
- Created a project identifying the “offender” products and compared them to our competitor’s.
- Collaborated with experienced professionals in the Marketing department.
- Updated our live MediHerb website to make sure it included relevant data and information.
- Crafted recipe blog posts for the Standard Process Purification and Detox programs.
- Edited our website to make information more interesting, and in the correct location.
Grace has loved the “friendly and welcoming” culture of the company. She says that someone should intern at Standard Process because “you’re more than just an intern at Standard Process. You get to attend meetings, work on important projects, and are treated like a full-time employee.”
- Cleaned up our YouTube page, making updates to videos titles, and descriptions.
- Updated our product webpages, making sure all information was up to date and accurate.
- Was the project manager for implementing marketing stories about our products, which involved delegating tasks to others.
- Interacted with Marketing and Customer Care employees on a daily basis.
- Answered customer questions and concerns, as well as place orders for customers, via email.
Alex says his favorite part about working at Standard Process was “getting to work alongside full-time employees and working on projects that will actually make a difference within the company.”
The next time we offer another Marketing internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic Marketing driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Hunter, the 2022 Finance intern! Hunter is an accounting major at UW-Whitewater, where he will be starting his senior year in the fall. Outside of the workplace, Hunter enjoys fixing and restoring old cars, playing volleyball with his friends, and he also loves to paint.
Some specific projects he worked on during his time here included:
- Launched the first Standard Process Capital Asset Project which included tracking down all Standard Process’s assets.
- Made sure Accounts Payable was up to date.
- Applied checks from lockbox to the IFS (ERP) system daily.
- Filed sales tax returns for Alaska and Colorado state taxes.
- Used pivot tables to create reports to show payroll authorizations.
- Verified banking information from suppliers of Standard Process products.
- Assisted with Accounts Payable projects and tasks.
Hunter has enjoyed working at Standard Process. He says, “the collaboration between everyone here is something that I really enjoy. I have had many projects that have gotten difficult at times, but someone is always there to lend a hand and help me work through the places I get stuck.”
The next time we offer another Finance internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic Finance driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Research & Development: NIC
Meet Julia and Andie, the 2022 R&D Discovery Science & Innovation Interns! Julia is a Biological Sciences major at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. Andie is a Nutrition Science major and Microbiology minor at North Carolina State University, where she will be going into her third year.
Some specific projects they worked on during their summer internship included:
- Performed and assisted with scientific assays such as HPLC and colorimetry in the lab to test for compounds in various experiments involving SP products.
- Analyzed and interpreted results from experiments using Stat View and Excel.
- Reviewed scientific literature to compile information for experimental designs and presentations.
- Use laboratory equipment such as: micropipette, centrifuge analytical balance, water baths, incubators, fume hoods, etc.
- Collaborated with nearby partner labs to design experimental protocols and perform assays.
- Tested for levels of molecular markers as it relates to traumatic brain injury in experiments involving SP products.
- Attended and contributed to weekly team meetings.
- Prepared reagents and buffers.
- Attended weekly Discovery Lab meetings where she present data and collaborate with her team.
- Maintained lab supplies, inventories, and conduct routine lab maintenance as assigned.
- Researched the products that they tested in the lab.
- Recorded and analyzed data by following established SOP’s.
Julia has enjoyed working at Standard Process. She says, “it was an amazing opportunity to be a part of a team that was working diligently to better our products at Standard Process and was great experience for myself going forward.”
Andie also said, “the work that we have done here is truly like no other and has given me the knowledge and experience to further my academic endeavors with confidence.”
The next time we offer another R&D internship opportunity at our NIC facility, we hope to involve another fantastic R&D driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Max, the 2022 Human Resources intern! Max is a Business Management major at UW La Crosse, and he graduated in December. In his free time, Max likes to disc golf with his friends, hang out at the lake, and play with his dog.
During his internship, Max…
- Was the first point of contact for all the other interns, acted as a liaison.
- Facilitated professional development sessions for the interns called “lunch and learns”
- Facilitated National Intern Day.
- Researched and took our data on turnover and made suggestions to lower turnover.
- Completed an employee photo audit.
- Used excel for data analysis (Chi-squared) to see if Office Employees respond to surveys differently than Production employees.
Max has enjoyed working at Standard Process. He says, “it’s just a cool place. Everyone is nice and answers my million questions that I have”.
The next time we offer another Human Resources internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic HR driven student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
In 2022, unfortunately, the position of a microbiology intern went un-filled. We interviewed Kyle McClone, Microbiology Supervisor to get an idea of what a day in the life of this position would be like.
Here is what Kyle said an intern would do during the internship:
- Handle day-to-day responsibilities within the laboratory, eventually taking over responsibility for these tasks
- Gain knowledge using important, related software, including the LIMs (Laboratory Information Management systems)
- Learn some of the currently used assays and testing, and see what a working micro lab feels like compared to a school setting
Kyle said, “The intern would help us run our assays throughout the week. We’d start them on our Solaris units, or general E. coli testing and as they grow, we’ll teach them more of the test.” In general, Kyle said, “In the summer, we try to get some new assays accredited, and the intern would directly support our team as they complete those projects. Typically, we try to teach them and then hope they can take over the rotation and work their way through it”.
The next time we offer a microbiology internship opportunity, we hope to involve a stellar biology or chemistry student looking for real-world experience! to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Morgan, the 2022 Sales Operations intern! Morgan is a General Business major with a certificate in Sales at UW-Whitewater. In his free time, Morgan enjoys going camping, playing disc golf, and tubing on the lake.
Some Specific projects he worked on during his time here included:
- Updated the daily sales numbers for the corporate sales team
- Assisted the sales coordinators with their monthly and quarterly reports
- Visited competitors’ websites and cross examined with customers to develop high quality leads
- Worked with fellow interns to create an intern recruitment project
- Worked with a Standard Process corporate sales rep to gain live selling experience
- Sat in on phone calls made by the internal sales team to gain live selling experience
Morgan has enjoyed working at Standard Process. He says, “my favorite part was the opportunities that I’ve been able to get while working here. I was initially looking for a sales rep internship, but I got a sales operation one instead. My manager knew I was looking to get selling experience and made sure that I went on a ride along with one of our sales reps as well as listening in on phone calls,” he added.
The next time we offer a sales operations internship opportunity, we hope to involve a stellar business student looking for real-world experience! to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Here is what the Director of Nutrition and Education Sara Le Brun-Blashka had to say about what an intern would potentially be doing during their internship…
- Support the nutrition writing process.
- Support writing with literature research for specific projects for education
- Support Wholistic matters and other projects within the R&D team.
- Conduct an inventory review of all podcasts and present that information.
Sara mentioned what previous interns had done stating “They worked on writing a nutrition article on Wholisticmatters.com, as well as a social media review on scientific material on education sites of competitors.”
Research & Development: Farm
Meet Sai and Kathryn, the 2022 R&D Farm interns! Sai is a Plant and Soil Science major at Arkansas State University and will be graduating in spring. Sai loves to do many things outside of work, but his favorites include watching movies and TV shows, playing sports, and spending time with friends and family.
During his internship, Sai…
- Designed trial plots for production material in development of new products.
- Collaborated with the farm team to manage different crops.
- Used software like Excel to complete drone data collection and analysis.
- Completed a soil data audit analysis to create a framework for the future.
Sai says his favorite part about the internship was “being able to work outside at our farm and see where our ingredients come from.”
Kathryn is a Biosystems and Agricultural Engineering major at Michigan State University and will be going into her third year in the fall of 2022. In her free time, she loves to hang out with her friends, trying new foods and just being outside.
During the summer, Kathryn…
- Maintained plots
- Designed and conducted experiments to help improve products
- Collected data using a drone and field notes
- Budgeted and documented various experiments and benchtop work
- Aided in sampling materials
- Used various lab techniques and equipment
- Worked with the farm, microbiology, and the R&D departments to complete projects.
Kathryn enjoyed working at Standard Process. She says, “getting hands on experience with something that I really am passionate about and relative to the schoolwork I am doing was something that I really loved about interning here.”
The next time we offer a Farm Research and Development internship opportunity, we hope to involve more amazing and driven students looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Research & Development: Product
Meet Sarah, the 2022 Research & Development; Product Development intern! During her internship, Sarah…
- Designed experiments to test compression, particle size, hardness, thickness, and density.
- Used laboratory equipment to conduct testing on products.
- Reformulated the process and consistency of one of the products to allow it to be better manufactured.
- Interacted with many employees in the Production, Chemistry, Microbiology, and Quality departments.
- Troubleshooted placebos for clinical trials.
- Prepared and conducted Pilot scale experiments.
- Used different technical platforms to record data.
Sarah has enjoyed working at Standard Process. She says, “my favorite part is being challenged. I’ve been able to learn a lot of new lab techniques, be exposed to other chemists, and learn about new opportunities in the chemistry field.” Her research and lab testing has made it possible to identify and produce the most effective formula for one of our products. Sarah says that through her internship at Standard Process, she has been able to “make a difference.”
Sarah graduated from UW Whitewater in May, 2022 with a degree in Chemistry. A fun fact about Sarah is that she has a twin brother!
The next time we offer an R&D internship opportunity, we hope to involve another fantastic individual looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet Taylor, the 2022 Customer Care intern! Taylor is completing a double major in Consumer Behavior and Marketplace Studies as well as a minor in Graphic Design. Taylor will be graduating from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in May. Outside of work, she enjoys wakeboarding, listening to music and hanging out with her friends.
During her internship, Taylor…
- Updated and edited the frequently asked questions page.
- Designed templates for employees to utilize in daily practices.
- Organized internal information.
- Updated customer information using our ERP system.
- Assisted and responded to customers among various platforms.
- Collaborated with the Marketing and Sales departments.
Taylor has enjoyed working at Standard Process this summer. “I enjoy the amount of people I have been able to work with and seeing all of the aspects of the business that go into the Customer Care department,” she stated.
The next time we offer a Customer Care internship opportunity, we hope to involve another amazing student looking for real-world experience! Sign up on our site to be alerted when new internships are posted.
Meet the Authors
Grace Sueflohn was the Marketing intern of our 2022 intern class. She currently attends Lewis University with her bachelor’s degrees in Organizational Communication and Public Relations/Advertising with a minor in Digital Marketing expected in 2024. During her internship, she worked on several important projects, including this blog series, which is a key component of the intern recruitment campaign for the following year. Connect with her on LinkedIn.
Alex was the Marketing/Customer Care Intern of our 2022 intern class. He currently attends the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse and will be graduating with a degree in marketing in the Spring of 2023. During his internship, he has helped complete many projects, including a key role in the intern recruitment campaign.
Max Olen was the Human Resources intern of our 2022 intern class. He recently graduated from the University of Wisconsin La Crosse with a degree in Business Management. During his internship, he worked on several important projects, including this this blog series, and running the internship program. Max currently works as a Talent Specialist here at Standard Process and will be actively recruiting for the 2023 intern class. Connect with him on LinkedIn.